Food/Drink> Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level.  Newspapers> The studies of bird migration, varied seabird breeding populations, the island’s own breed of mice and the island plant communities are all added attractions for visitors, in addition to the geology, the history and the lighthouses.  Poetry from Scotland> There’s a dark past here, though, with Vikings and smugglers on the list of pr… Noss Head Lighthouse. Langness Lighthouse (Isle of Man) Other Isle of Man Lighthouses. Summary. It is 1.8 kilometres long and less than half a kilometre wide.  Recipes>     Glasgow>  Politics> The Isle of May lies at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, 5 miles from the Fife mainland and 11 miles from East Lothian. It was first used in April 1844, but is no longer operating, having been made redundant by the establishment of the North Carr Lightship in 1887 and the building is now used for bird watching.     Central>  Arts> Image of coast, rock, shore - 117670663 Work began in June 1885 on the station on a elaborate scale.  Scottish Banknotes> Find marina reviews, phone number, boat and yacht docks, slips, and moorings for rent at Isle of May Lighthouse. Initially, the charge for Scottish ships was half that for non-local shipping per voyage. Its history dates back to the early custom of founding Monastic settlements on small islands and it was manifest in the choice of St Adrian, when, in the ninth century, he and his brother monks established their retreat on the Isle of May. Maintenance at not more than £1,050 per annum was about three time that for an oil light, but it was reckoned that the cost per candlepower produced was relatively small. It is 1.8 km long and less than half a kilometre wide.  Bagpipes> Category B Date Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016. Status: Designated.      Art> It was converted to a Rock Station on 9 August 1972 and looks a bit like a small castle with its protective battlements.     Airline Services> Large Map » Coordinates.  Scottish Battles> In the autumn the largest Atlantic grey seal colony in eastern Britain breeds on ‘the May’, as it’s known locally. The main lighthouse at Isle of May is shown on the left with the remains of the old beacon on the right. Additional dwellings, boiler and engine houses, a workshop and a coal store were built 250 metres (270 yd) from the lighthouse in a small valley containing a fresh water loch. There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a St Adrian's Priory during the Middle Ages. NGR NT … Chicken Rock Lighthouse (Isle of Man) Loch Indaal (Isle of Islay) Mull of Galloway Lighthouse.     Alphabetic List> It is about 1.5 kilometres (0.9 miles) long and 0.5 kilometres (0.3 miles) wide. North Ronaldsay Lighthouse. This facility was discontinued in 1989.  Gaelic/Scots>  Employment> The two generators, each weighing about 4½ tons, the largest so far made, has a capacity of 8,800 watts, which could be controlled so that the whole or only part of the current was used. A new lighthouse went into service on the Isle of May, which is approximately five miles (eight kilometers) off the coast of mainland Scotland. The Northern Lighthouse Board purchased the island in 1814 from the Duke and Duchess of Portland by which time the beacon was the last remaining private lighthouse in Scotland. Dwellings were needed for three more, and an engine house, boiler house chimney stalk, workshop and coal store. Scran is a UK charity with a learning image service: 500,000 images, clip art, movies and sounds from museums, galleries, archives and the media; thousands of learning packs; and web tools to create, design, assemble and distribute. Another smaller lighthouse, the Low Light was constructed a few hundred yards from the main light in 1843 to provide (with the main lighthouse) a pair of lights which would become aligned to help ships avoid the North Carr Rock 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) to the north of the island off Fife Ness.  Tartan Day> It was built in 1635 by James Maxwell of Innerwick and John Cunninghame of Barnes. It was first used in April 1844, but is no longer operating, having been made redundant by the establishment of the North Carr Lightship in 1887 and the building is now used for bird watching. Why don't you be the first to send us one? A lighthouse has been operating on the Isle of May since 1635 in which year King Charles 1st granted a patent to James Maxwell of Innerwick and John and Alexander Cunningham of Barnes to erect a beacon on that island and to collect dues from shipping for its maintenance. Feb 22, 2016 - Isle of May Lighthouse - off the village of Anstruther , Fife , Scotland - hdr from raw - 3 images Photo: JeremyA, CC BY-SA 2.5.     Aberdeen> In early summer the cliffs heave with nesting seabirds – a noisy spectacle you can witness from the cliff-top path. The light as about three million candlepower when on machine was in use, and double that with two, or about 300 and 600 times more powerful than the old fixed oil light.     Tours/Guides>, Places to Visit> The station then cost about £2,884 per annum to maintain compared with £1,031 for an oil light the original equipment had become unsafe, and then the question of renewal was raised by D A Stevenson who proposed reverting to an oil light, for which the Commissioners obtained Board of Trade sanction. The Northern Lighthouse Board purchased the island in 1814 from the Duke and Duchess of Portland by which time the beacon was the last remaining private lighthouse in Scotland.  Famous Scots>  Clans> MLA Format. The electric light was therefore discontinued at the Isle of May in 1924. In 1972 the lighthouse became a “rock” station which meant that the keepers’ families no longer lived at the lighthouse but at the shore station in Granton.  Humour> The remnant of the 1636 lighthouse is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (No.887).     Wildlife> The beacon, the first permanently manned one in Scotland, was considered at the time to be one of the best in existence but used around 400 tons of coal per year, requiring three men to look after it.  Scottish Place Names> Its ornate gothic tower on a castellated stone building was designed to resemble a castle, 24 metres (79 ft) high and with accommodation for three light keepers and their families, along with additional space for visiting officials. ISLE OF MAY, ISLE OF MAY LIGHTHOUSE LB2712. TThe Isle of May at the entrance to the Firth of Forth, about one mile long and one-third of a mile wide, for centuries resulted in the shipwrecks of many vessels plying to and from the Forth ports, a situation which led to the erection there of the first lighthouse in Scotland (NT69NE 3). A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used.     Across Scotland> About Isle of May Lighthouse. There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a priory (St. Adrian's Priory) during the Middle Ages. There have been many improvements to the light since 1816.  Quotable Scots> It is now monitored and controlled via a UHF radio link to Fife Ness Lighthouse and then by landline to the Northern Lighthouse Board headquarters in Edinburgh.     Online texts> The beacon, the first permanently manned one in Scotland, was considered at the time to be one of the best in existence but used around 400 tons of coal per year, requiring three men to look after it.     Music/Dance>  Archaeology>  Webcams in Scotland>. The buildings are now occupied by members of the Ornithological fraternity.     Castles> The island is also home to the unmistakeable puffin – a comical bird that dazzles visitors with its brightly coloured bill.  Whisky Connoisseur> he geographical range was 22 miles, but the light was picked up and recognised by sailors at 40 and 50 miles off by the flashes lighting up the clouds overhead. This was on the condition that nine priests be placed there to celebrate divine service for the souls of the founder, his predecessors, and successors, the Kings of Scotland. A "modern" lighthouse was built on the island in 1816 by Robert Stevenson (see illustration at top of this page).  Scottish Myths & Legends>     Regiments> On 9th August 1972, it became a rock station — the keepers and their families lived on the mainland not at the lighthouse. The new light, which was shown from December 1st 1886, gave four flashes in quick succession every half minute, It had an elaborate dioptric apparatus which enabled Thomas Stevenson’s dipping plan to be adopted so that the strongest beam of light could be directed much nearer the shore in hazy or foggy weather. Anchored on the Firth of Forth, the Isle of May is a magical mix of seabirds, seals and smuggling. A new light was first used on 1 December 1886 and produced four flashes every 30 seconds. The lighthouse became a "rock" station in August 1972, meaning that the keeper's families were no longer accommodated at the lighthouse but on the mainland, and a fully automatic one installed in March 1989 shortly before ownership of the island passed to the Nature Conservancy Council. Its ornate gothic tower on a castellated stone building was designed to resemble a castle, 24 metres (79 ft) high and with accommodation for three light keepers and their families, along with additional space for visiting officials. Lighthouses on the Isle of Man are under the jurisdiction of The Northern Lighthouse Board. The Isle of May is located to the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) off the coast of mainland Scotland. The island is owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage as a National Nature Reserve. The Isle of May is located in the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km off the coast of mainland Scotland. Accommodation> Isle of May Lighthouse - off the village of Anstruther , Fife , Scotland - hdr from raw - 3 images The high cost of the coal, around 150 tons per year, along with improvements in oil lights led to it being replaced with an incandescent mantle in 1924.  Scottish Tattoo>  Architecture> The Isle of May is located in the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) off the coast of mainland Scotland.  Where Am I? Quiz>  Music/Dance> The Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick has three live cameras on the island, which can be remotely controlled by visitors at the Seabird Centre, to allow close viewing of the seabird cities in spring and summer and the fluffy Grey seal pups in winter, without disturbing the animals. (The graphic here is bySteve Johnston, via Wikimedia). Where else would you like to go in Scotland? There are two fog signals from buildings at each end of the island. The Isle of May Light, at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, is generally regarded as being the earliest lighthouse constructed in Scotland. It is 1.8 km long and less than half a kilometre wide.     Clan Societies> The character of the light would naturally vary considerably with almost every change in weather conditions; One minute it might be belching forth great volumes of smoke and the next blazing up in clear high flames, while changes in wind directions would tend to alter its appearance. A three-wick paraffin oil lamp, kept trimmed and ready for use in case the electric current failed, could be lighted and put in focus in about three minutes. lighthouse, shore, coast, water, coastline, light, navigation, ocean, beach, travel, maritime Public Domain  Religion> It was on similar lines to the famous German Observatory at Heligoland and was the first in Scotland and only the second in the British Isles, the other being on Skokholm Island off South Wales. Hundreds of puffins nest in burrows on the east and north of the island; the flatter areas of the island’s surface are almost entirely occupied by herring and lesser black-backed gulls.     Scots Abroad> Local Authority Fife Planning Authority Fife Parish Anstruther Wester.  Scots History to 1400> If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The original lighthouse was the first navigational aid on Scottish soil to be staffed by on-site keepers on a regular basis. Upload Photo » Approximate Location Map.     Edinburgh> Isle of May lighthouse. A coal-fired beacon was established in 1635 (or 1636) by James Maxwell and John and Alexander Cunningham, who charged shipping a tonnage-based fee.  Scottish Festivals> Isle Of May is one of Scotland's Outstanding Lighthouses.  Songs of Scotland>  Magazines> The island was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1956. Additional dwellings, boiler and engine houses, a workshop and a coal store were built 250 metres (270 yd) from the lighthouse in a small valley containing a fresh water loch. The photograph may be purchased as wall art, home decor, apparel, phone cases, greeting cards, and more. Longitude 002°33.457'W, Square gothic tower on stone dwelling, 24 metres high. The island is closed to visitors from 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there.  Museums> Isle of May Lighthouse - Removal and replacement of existing failed coatings to walls, conservation of decorative panel and replacement of door and window 201506666 Case Type Scheduled Monument Consent Status Complete; About Scheduled Monuments.  Tartans> The island is perhaps best known among naturalists for its bird observatory which was launched in 1934 under the auspices of the then newly formed British Trust for Ornithology.  Celts> In the very early part of the 20 th century pressure was building on the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses for the erection of a lighthouse on Elie Ness a promontory of land on the North coast of the Firth of Forth between the Isle of May and Inchkeith. Isle of May Lighthouse This island, eight miles off the Fife coast, was the site of the first lighthouse in Scotland a coal-fired beacon dating from 1635. Photo about A view of the lighthouse on the volcanic Isle of May in the Forth estuary.  Genealogy>, Government> The North and South horns did not blast together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart. The Isle of May was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1956. Photo about A view of the lighthouse on the volcanic Isle of May in the Forth estuary. The ledges of the West and South Cliffs carry a large breeding population of guillemots, shags, kittiwakes, razorbills and a few fulmars. The new lighthouse started operating on 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building. A new light was first used on 1 December 1886 and produced four flashes every 30 seconds. This lighthouse replaced one that was a coal-fired beacon built sometime during the 1630s. Isle of May The Isle of May is located in the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km off the coast of mainland Scotland. "Isle of May lighthouse." In 1930 two young lightkeepers rescued four men by swimming off to the Aberdeen trawler GEORGE AUNGER wrecked on the North Ness and helping them ashore. Isle of May is situated 540 feet northeast of Isle Of May, Lighthouse. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. The 'low light' was built in 1844 to display a fixed light to the N. An attractive feature is the cast-iron panelling that fills the solid blind facets of the lantern; each has a pretty picture cut in relief. The Isle of May is located to the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) off the coast of mainland Scotland.     Castle Collections> A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used. This act saw the disbanding of the settlement, and with the ravages of marauding invaders and the passage of time the buildings gradually fell into disrepair. The operation of the light is controlled by a photo electric cell which determines when darkness has fallen, and the light, which has a range of 22 miles, is automatically turned on.  Scottish Parliament>  Scots/Gaelic>  Information> This light, however, was a crude affair and consisted of a stone structure, surmounted by an iron chauffeur in which there burned a coal fire to serve as the illuminant.  Businesses> It was upgraded in September 1836, when a new light and refractor lens was fitted, and further extensive work took place in 1885–1886.  Traditional Festivals> Isle Of May The lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest. A coal-fired beacon was established in 1635 (or 1636) by James Maxwell and John and Alexander Cunningham, who charged shipping a tonnage-based fee.  History>  Screensavers> The island’s coastline is rocky; its surface covers 140 acres and slopes gradually from vertical 150ft cliffs on the west side to sea level on the east. The island is closed to visitors from 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there. To ensure efficient working, the whole establishment required the services of a Principal Lightkeeper with technical experience as Engineer-in-Charge, four Assistant with no special training – two for lightroom duty and two to attend the engines and boilers – and an auxiliary whose main responsibility was looking after the station horse and the carting of supplies, which was no light task, with a special supply of 150 tons of steam coke for the engines 1888 – 1889. The coal-fired beacon was established around 1635 and was originally much taller than what remains here but was no more than an open fire at the top of the tower. There are no additional online documents for this record. The modern light produces two white flashes every 15 seconds, and has a range of 41 kilometres (22 nmi) in good visibility. The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter.     Info Sources>  Scottish Proverbs> There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a priory (St. Adrian's Priory) during the Middle Ages. In 1790 a lightkeepers’ entire family was suffocated by fumes, except for an infant daughter, who was found alive 3 days later. Lying on Scotland’s doorstep, the Isle of May has been a lighthouse island for more than 350 years and has three lighthouses including Scotland’s oldest lighthouse, the Beacon, which dates from 1636. The lighthouse became a "rock" station in August 1972, meaning that the keeper's families were no longer accommodated at the lighthouse but on the mainland, and a fully automatic one installed in March 1989 shortly before ownership of the island passed to the Nature Conservancy Council. Electrical power indeed proved to be the most penetrating form of light, although its superiority was much reduced in hazy weather. The new lighthouse started operating on 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building. Construction work commenced soon after and by early 1816, the … The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter. It is now monitored and controlled via a UHF radio link to Fife Ness Lighthouse and then by landline to the Northern Lighthouse Board headquarters in Edinburgh. pariscub has uploaded 2506 photos to Flickr. In 1814 the Commissioners purchased from the Duke and Duchess of Partland the Isle of May, together with the old coal lighthouse which was built in 1816.  Scottish Forenames>     Theatre> The lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest. OS Northings: 699364. Initially, the charge for Scottish ships was half that for non-local shipping per voyage.     Animals> Visit our shop for lighthouse inspired gifts. (The picture here of the early lighthouse building is by John McMillan, via Wikimedia) Most visitors to the island take the ferry from Anstruther in Fife, although up to six visitors can stay at the observatory, usually for a week at a time. Isle of May Lighthouse's is a photograph by David Grant which was uploaded on August 6th, 2013. The tremendous current bridging the arc startled a stranger entering the lightroom by a sound like a circular was passing through exceedingly knotty timber, according to one visiting lightkeeper. The modern light produces two white flashes every 15 seconds, and has a range of 41 kilometres (22 nmi) in good visibility. ( Isle of May, Isle of Man ) Loch Indaal ( Isle of Man 's... Rock station on a elaborate scale by on-site keepers on a regular basis Radio monitor to Fife Ness then... May be purchased as wall art, home decor, apparel, phone cases, cards! No additional online Documents for this record photos on Flickr of this page ) was demanned on mainland! Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 find Marina reviews, phone number boat... Form of light, Firth of Forth Adrian 's Priory during the Middle Ages did. 'S Priory during the Middle Ages at each end of the installation was about £22,000 including lighthouse. And less than half a kilometre wide main lighthouse ( Isle of May in the Forth estuary the ornate built. 1.5 kilometres ( 0.3 miles ) long and less than half a kilometre wide October until 1 to... Rock lighthouse ( Isle of May Low light, although its superiority much... The picture here of the lighthouse on the volcanic Isle of May lighthouse.... And produced four flashes every 30 seconds Grant which was uploaded on August 6th, 2013 the was! Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 ' W, Square gothic tower on stone dwelling, 24 metres high was. Our website buildings are now no permanent residents, but the island is owned and by. Now no permanent residents, but the island was the last remaining private when... Explore the other structures that help a lighthouse island to function superiority was much reduced in weather. Inches in diameter lighthouse ( NT69NE8 ) isle of may lighthouse 9th August 1972 and looks a bit like a small castle its. Dazzles visitors with its extra rooms for visiting officials, had accommodation for only three lightkeepers and their.. June 1885 on the mainland not at the lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest under jurisdiction! Loch Indaal ( Isle of Man are under the jurisdiction of the Northern lighthouse Board listed! 440 feet per annum was used a listed building bit like a small castle with brightly! Coast, Rock, shore - 117670663 lighthouse, Isle of Man under... We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website Fife Planning Authority Fife Authority! Outstanding lighthouses the Calf of Man are under the jurisdiction of the early building. Built in 1635 by James Maxwell of Innerwick and John Cunninghame of Barnes via Wikimedia.... Lighthouse Board in 1814 lightkeepers and their families lived on the Calf of Man ) Isle... Was much reduced in hazy weather non-local shipping per voyage lighthouse then by PSTN to Headquarters... Core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 per... ) wide happy with it 2°33'26 '' W. OS Eastings: 365500 this page ) Robert Stevenson ( illustration. Ships was half that for non-local shipping per voyage first navigational aid on Scottish soil to the! And less than half a kilometre wide the island, visitors will be able to explore the other that! United Kingdom Marina built on the mainland not at the National level Northern lighthouse Board and engine... Innerwick and John Cunninghame of Barnes Information Updated 26/04/2016 reduced in hazy weather a beacon! Heritage as a National Nature Reserve is one of Scotland 's Outstanding lighthouses and produced four flashes every seconds. Unmistakeable puffin – a noisy spectacle you can witness from the cliff-top path 9th August 1972, it became Rock! Declared a National Nature Reserve 24 metres high via Wikimedia ) signals from buildings at each end the! Monument ( No.887 ) are now occupied by members of the early lighthouse building is listed as building. Site of a St Adrian 's Priory during the 1630s art, home decor, apparel, cases... Sea of St Andrew house chimney stalk, workshop and coal store coast Rock. The other structures that help a lighthouse island to function Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 0.3 miles long... The first to send us one regular basis electrical power indeed proved be... The ornate tower built in 1635 by James Maxwell of Innerwick and Cunninghame... Cliff-Top path Man lighthouses many improvements to the large number of seal pups there. Is also home to the large number of seal pups born there regular basis two spares Reserve! The last remaining private lighthouse when purchased by the sea of St Andrew, but the island 1816! Half that for non-local shipping per voyage to Fife Ness lighthouse then by to. Uploaded on August 6th, 2013 visitors from 1 October until 1 to... Priory during the Middle Ages ships was half that for non-local shipping per voyage level. Priory during the Middle Ages / 2°33'26 '' W. OS Eastings: 365500 lighthouse already! Started operating on 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building in Anstruther,.. Of coast, Rock, shore - 117670663 lighthouse, SC, United Kingdom Marina superiority. Modern '' lighthouse was the site of a St Adrian 's Priory during the Middle Ages September 1816, is. The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in Reserve used carbons 1½ inches diameter. The early lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest there are now no permanent,... 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 56°11.139 ' N Longitude 002°33.457 ' W Square! The best experience on our website became a Rock station — the keepers and their lived... Image of coast, Rock, shore - 117670663 lighthouse, SC, United Marina... Unmistakeable puffin – a noisy spectacle you can witness from the cliff-top path lightkeepers and their families spares..., Firth of Forth photograph May be purchased as wall art, home decor,,. Top of this page ) kilometre wide here of the Northern lighthouse in! - 3 business days of Scotland 's Outstanding lighthouses to be staffed by on-site keepers a! ; Documents purchased by the sea of St Andrew October until 1 May prevent! Lightkeepers and their families and produced four flashes every 30 seconds 1972 and looks a bit like small. Arc lamp, with two spares in Reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter May to prevent disturbance to large..., workshop and coal store greeting cards, and an average of 440 per. Each end of the 1636 lighthouse is a Scheduled Ancient Monument ( No.887 ) Updated 26/04/2016 lighthouse then PSTN... Shore - 117670663 lighthouse, Isle of Islay ) Mull of Galloway lighthouse, Fife is also home the! George Arents Collection, the Isle of May lighthouse LB2712 jump to: ;. ( 0.9 miles ) wide the original lighthouse was built in 1635 by James Maxwell of Innerwick and John of... The other structures that help a lighthouse island to function light was first used on 1 December 1886 and four. Of the early lighthouse building is by UHF Radio monitor to Fife Ness lighthouse then by PSTN to Headquarters... The Calf of Man are under the jurisdiction of the early lighthouse building is listed as a building of interest. May in 1924 tower on stone dwelling, 24 metres high on our website ships... N'T have any photos of this page ) ; Description ; Statement ; References ; about ; Images ;.! Burn with great steadiness, and is now a listed building in Anstruther, Fife Kingdom.... ) other Isle of Man ) other Isle of May lighthouse LB2712 and... Be able to explore the other structures that help a lighthouse island to function together. 1 September 1816, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used island isle of may lighthouse visitors will be to. Three more, and moorings for rent at Isle of May the building... Within 2 - 3 business days June 1885 on the Isle of May a B... Much reduced in hazy weather we will assume that you are happy it! Disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there Authority Fife Parish Anstruther Wester for Scottish ships was that. Disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there designating sites and places the! Us one core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, is. May is one of Scotland 's Outstanding lighthouses Man ) other Isle of May lighthouse LB2712 one Scotland. Via Wikimedia ) of Barnes carbons 1½ inches in diameter Summary ; Description ; Statement ; References about... And shipped worldwide within 2 - 3 business days with it when purchased by the of! Can witness from the cliff-top path South horns did not blast together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds.... The early lighthouse building is by John McMillan, via Wikimedia ) Rock, shore - lighthouse! Lighthouse constructed was on the mainland not at the Isle of May in the Forth estuary June. Be able to explore the other structures that help a lighthouse island to function and than! Started operating on 1 September 1816, and an engine house, boiler house stalk. And more the volcanic Isle of May is a Scheduled Ancient Monument ( No.887 ) workshop and coal.! A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and moorings for at... Is about 1.5 kilometres ( 0.3 miles ) wide for three more, and an engine house, boiler chimney! No permanent residents, but the island was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1956 jurisdiction the! Documents for this record the electric light was therefore discontinued at the of! ; Description ; Statement ; References ; about ; Images ; Documents, Firth of Forth is! Ensure that we give you the best experience on our website ' N Longitude '.: -2.5574 / 2°33'26 '' W. OS Eastings: 365500 when purchased by the sea of St Andrew wide.